Valley Stream Truck Accident Attorneys
Representing Truck Accident Victims in Nassau County
Truck accidents can be terrifying, especially if you are in a smaller vehicle. Depending on the circumstances of the crash, you may be left with a totaled car, catastrophic injuries, and other related losses. If the accident was caused by the truck driver’s or another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.
Personal injury claims involving truck accidents tend to be especially complex due to the number of potentially negligent parties. Our team at Nass Roper & Levin, PC can quickly determine whether you have a case and guide you through each stage of the legal process. Our Valley Stream truck accident lawyers have over 45 years of collective experience and understand how to effectively gather evidence and investigate these cases. We are always prepared to go to trial and will pursue the maximum compensation available.
Do not wait to get legal advice if you have been injured in a New York truck accident. Call (516) 774-4224 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.
What Should I Do Immediately After a Truck Accident in New York?
A truck accident is often traumatic, especially if you experienced a head-on collision. If you have suffered any serious injuries, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1 and go to the nearest hospital. Your health and safety should be your top priority. If you are well enough to remain at the crash scene, there are several steps you should take to protect your rights.
After a New York truck accident, you should:
- Make sure everyone else is okay. Check on every other motorist, passenger, and pedestrian who was involved in the crash. Summon emergency services if necessary.
- Call the police. State law requires you to call the police and stay at the scene until they arrive if anyone was injured or if the accident caused more than $1,000 in property damage. When the police arrive, they will assess the situation and write an official report.
- Stay quiet. You may be tempted to apologize or tell the truck driver you are more or less okay. Anything you say can and most likely will be used against you, so say as little as possible. When you discuss the accident with the police, stick to the facts.
- Document what happened. Be sure to take photos and videos of the accident scene, including your injuries, damage to your vehicle, and any road conditions that may have played a role in the crash. Try to also take photos of any visible truck defects, such as defective equipment or loose cargo.
- Obtain contact information. Get the truck driver’s name, address, phone number, license information, and insurance information. You should also request the name and contact information of their employer.
- See a doctor. After leaving the scene, try and see a medical professional as quickly as possible, even if you feel okay. Not all conditions will be immediately obvious, and you need to link all injuries to the crash. Get a copy of your doctor’s medical report and strictly follow their treatment plan.
- Call Nass Roper & Levin, PC. In the days after the crash, the truck driver, their employer, or their legal representatives may reach out. Do not answer any questions or make any statements until you have hired your own legal advocate. Our Valley Stream truck accident attorneys can handle all communications and paperwork on your behalf.
Who Is Liable for a New York Truck Accident?
Unlike traditional auto accidents, liability is not always straightforward in a truck accident. Depending on the circumstances, one or more parties may be liable for damages. Conducting a thorough investigation and determining liability is extremely important in these cases. We understand how to approach these investigations and identify all liable parties.
Parties that could be liable include:
- The truck driver
- The truck driver’s employer
- The truck’s manufacturer
- The truck’s cargo loader(s)
- The truck’s maintenance team
What Can I Recover in a New York Truck Accident Lawsuit?
If you are interested in filing a personal injury claim and attempting to recover damages, you will need to act quickly. New York law requires victims to start the legal process within three years of the truck accident. If a truck accident results in death, you only have two years from the date of the victim’s passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Our Valley Stream truck accident lawyers will fight to recover compensation for all relevant losses, including:
- Past, current, and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reductions in earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Our legal professionals are prepared to take on the toughest truck accident cases. We are committed to holding all negligent parties accountable and will fight for you from beginning to end.
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, call (516) 774-4224 or contact us online to discuss your legal options.
“Outstanding service and highly experienced. I would definitely recommend Nass Roper & Levin to anyone looking to get results and to be treated like family!” - Saquan T.
“From the first day that I spoke to them, I knew that they would be the best choice. They look out for their clients and want the best for them.” - Wascar G.
“They are a very thorough team and I definitely recommend them! If you want satisfying results this is the team to run with.” - Kim C.
“Without a doubt the easiest and fastest process I’ve ever seen with a lawyer. I will definitely recommend them to a friend!” - Phillip P.