Long Island CAr Accident Attorneys
New York City traffic has a bad reputation. While car accidents and fender benders are all too common, particularly in Nassau County and throughout the five boroughs, some car accidents cause severe and permanent injury. If you or your family member was involved in a severe accident due to another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation through a personal injury lawsuit.
At Nass Roper & Levin, PC, our experienced car accident attorneys in Long Island understand what it takes to succeed in a lawsuit. While no amount of compensation can take away the trauma of your experience, especially if you have been severely injured, it can help ease your family’s financial and emotional burden.
Contact our firm online or call (718) 775-3246 to schedule a consultation with our Long Island auto accident attorneys today. We offer personalized representation in English, Spanish, and French.
What Do I Need to Prove in a Car Accident Lawsuit?
To succeed in a personal injury lawsuit, you must prove that someone else’s negligent act or omission caused your injury. In car accident lawsuits, you must prove that another driver’s careless, reckless, or malicious driving caused the car accident that in turn caused your injuries.
Proving fault is sometimes complicated, but there are actions you can take after an accident to help your claim:
- Seek medical attention and ensure your doctor makes note of your injuries in your medical record. Follow up on any appointments and keep a record of new or worsening symptoms.
- Never admit fault. Exchange information, including your driver’s license and insurance information, with the other driver, but do not make any statements about what may or may not have caused the accident.
- Do not accept any offers from your insurance company without first consulting with your lawyer.
- Gather as much information at the scene of the accident as possible, if it is safe to do so. This includes the other driver’s information, the contact information of any witnesses, pictures of the scene and any damage to your vehicle, and written statements about what happened and where.
Our experienced Long Island car accident attorneys are familiar with the process of curating all the information about your car accident so we can use it if your case goes to trial. To succeed at trial, you will need the right medical experts to prove that your car accident caused your injuries. Our lawyers know how to secure the information, witnesses, and experts for our clients’ success.
What Type of Compensation Can I Recover in a Car Accident Lawsuit?
Successful personal injury plaintiffs are entitled to receive the following types of compensation:
- The cost of medical treatment, including hospital stay costs, ambulance costs, and the costs of surgery or medical procedures caused by the car accident. This amount could also include physical therapy and in-home health care costs, when applicable.
- The estimated cost of future medical bills.
- The cost of property damage such as the cost of your damaged car.
- The cost of lost wages resulting from the car accident.
- Compensation for the loss of future earnings.
If your loved one passed away as a result of a car accident caused by someone’s negligence, you might be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. New York law allows a decedent’s legal representative to file a claim for wrongful death on behalf of the decedent’s estate. If successful, the victim’s estate could be compensated for funeral expenses, the loss of financial support of the victim, and medical expenses associated with the wrongful death.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?
New York has a car accident statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits. This is the length of time you have to file your claim in court. In New York, this time limit is generally three years from the date of the car accident. If you fail to act within that three-year period, you may be barred from filing a lawsuit and recovering any compensation for your losses or injuries.
Let Us Help You with Your Nassau County Car Accident Lawsuit
If you or a loved one suffered an injury in an auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation. In New York, victims of car accidents caused by someone else’s negligence have three years to file their lawsuit before it is time-barred by the statute of limitations.
Contact our Long Island car accident lawyers at Nass Roper & Levin, PC for help today. We can be reached via our secure online form or by calling (718) 775-3246.
“Outstanding service and highly experienced. I would definitely recommend Nass Roper & Levin to anyone looking to get results and to be treated like family!” - Saquan T.
“From the first day that I spoke to them, I knew that they would be the best choice. They look out for their clients and want the best for them.” - Wascar G.
“They are a very thorough team and I definitely recommend them! If you want satisfying results this is the team to run with.” - Kim C.
“Without a doubt the easiest and fastest process I’ve ever seen with a lawyer. I will definitely recommend them to a friend!” - Phillip P.
Trust the attorneys at Nass Roper & Levin to help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case.Contact Us