"SECTION 1983" LAWSUITS AGAINST NYC
“Section 1983” Lawsuits Against the City of New York
The Attorneys at Nass, Roper, & Levin, PC Are Here to Bring a Lawsuit on Your Behalf
When New York City representatives violate your civil rights while acting under the color of New York State law, the attorneys at Nass, Roper, & Levin, PC are here to bring a lawsuit on your behalf.
What Is The Civil Rights Act of 1871 (42 U.S.C. § 1983)?
The Civil Rights Act of 1871 (42 U.S.C. § 1983) provides that citizens can sue government representatives for civil rights violations as long as the representatives were “acting under the color” of state law. “Section 1983” lawsuits allow citizens to sue the City of New York representatives who violate their Constitutionally-guaranteed civil rights.
Looking to pursue a “Section 1983” lawsuit in New York? Contact the experienced civil rights attorneys at Nass, Roper, & Levin, PC, by calling (516) 774-4224 today to schedule a consultation!
Examples of the City of New York Civil Rights Violations
The following are examples of “Section 1983” civil rights violations committed by City of New York representatives:
- A City of New York representative uses excessive force against a citizen.
- A healthcare provider in a New York state jail or mental health care facility negligently fails to assist a resident or prisoner with a significant health or safety issue.
- A representative of the City of New York violates a citizen’s right to free speech.
- A City of New York prosecutor targets a citizen with malicious prosecution.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for “Section 1983” Lawsuits?
The specific statute of limitations time period for section 1983 lawsuits is dependent on the law under which the plaintiff brings the lawsuit.
- If the plaintiff is bringing a claim under state law against a City of New York employee, he or she must file a notice of the claim within 30 days of the civil rights violation.
- New York State has a three-year statute of limitations for civil rights lawsuits.
- The state has a one-year statute of limitations for civil rights claims brought against private citizens representing the state such as a prison security guard.
Civil rights lawsuits are time sensitive. To ensure that you file your lawsuit before it is time-barred, contact our office today.
Let Us Help You With Your Civil Rights Lawsuit
Citizens of the United States should not fear civil rights violations at the hands of their local government officials. That is why we aggressively represent our clients in civil rights lawsuits.
Our attorneys have a proven track record for securing compensation for our clients in “Section 1983” lawsuits against the City of New York. If a city official violated your civil rights, you need skilled legal help in securing compensation for your injuries.
Have questions about filing a “Section 1983” lawsuit in New York, NY? Contact Nass, Roper, & Levin, PC, your experienced civil rights attorneys. Call (516) 774-4224 or send us a message online!
“Outstanding service and highly experienced. I would definitely recommend Nass Roper & Levin to anyone looking to get results and to be treated like family!” - Saquan T.
“From the first day that I spoke to them, I knew that they would be the best choice. They look out for their clients and want the best for them.” - Wascar G.
“They are a very thorough team and I definitely recommend them! If you want satisfying results this is the team to run with.” - Kim C.
“Without a doubt the easiest and fastest process I’ve ever seen with a lawyer. I will definitely recommend them to a friend!” - Phillip P.