At Nass, Roper, & Levin, PC, our primary practice area is civil rights law. We are one of only four Manhattan-based civil rights law firms. Let us use our civil rights law experience help you determine the best strategy for your civil rights case.
The United States Constitution guarantees its citizens certain civil rights such as the right to be free from unlawful searches and seizures. Federal and state legislatures also pass laws that provide explicit civil rights protection to their citizens. The Supreme Court enforces and applies these civil rights through its decisions.
Federal civil rights laws include the Civil Rights Act, the Equal Pay Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. These acts seek to prevent governments and businesses from discriminating against people based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
What are Examples of Civil Rights Lawsuits?
The following are examples of civil rights violations that could result in a successful civil rights lawsuit:
- Human rights violations.
- Discrimination based on race, sex, religion, or another cultural characteristic.
- Brutality by New York City police officers.
- Wrongful death lawsuits in which a police officer negligently, recklessly, or maliciously causes a person’s death.
- False arrest by a police officer.
- Use of excessive force by a police officer.
- Negligent, reckless, or malicious injury to a prisoner or inmate at the Rikers Island prison or mental institution.
- Wrongful death or injury caused by the negligence of a representative of the City of New York.
- The use of force or the threat of the use of force against another due to racial or cultural bias.
If you have been the victim of a hate crime in New York City, you need an experienced attorney to represent you. You should also be sure you file your civil rights lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out. With a strong focus on civil rights lawsuits and experience working locally in New York City, we will fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve. We seek to deter governments and private citizens from infringing upon the civil rights of others through civil rights lawsuits.
Courts award successful plaintiffs in civil rights cases compensatory damages and may award punitive damages when the defendant acted with malice. We offer reasonable attorney fees and realize that every client has a unique set of goals for their case. Our goal is to find the best resolution for you. Contact the Manhattan-based Nass, Roper, & Levin, PC for expert legal help.
KEY PRACTICE AREAS